We all know the important steps we should take to keep ourselves from catching or passing on whatever sickness is floating around:
- Sanitize your hands! Don’t spread germs!
- If you’re feeling ill, stay away from others! You may pass on sickness without knowing it.
- Nourish yourself with healthy food and drink to help your body fight off the illness.
- Cover your mouth when you cough!
- Get plenty of rest!
But in our faith life, where we WANT to pass the faith on to our children and those around us, perhaps those rules need to be reversed:
- Don’t sanitize the Faith! Spread the Gospel!
- If you feel the power of God in your life, live it out courageously! You may pass on the faith without knowing it!
- Nourish your faith with daily prayer and Scripture reading to give you the strength to wage the battle against the foe!
- Open your mouth and share your experiences of faith with your family.
- Rest in the Lord’s promise: “Train a child in the way he should go; even when he is old, he will not swerve from it.” Proverbs 22:6
Remember that the Faith is not something that can be TAUGHT – it must be CAUGHT! May God give us the strength to do all we can to be contagious witnesses of faith, communicating the joy of Catholic life to the next generation.
(Mandie DeVries, Director of Faith Formation, All Saints, Des Moines)